Burton Athletic Club was established in 1883 to serve the local community, and was originally called the Burton Harriers up until 1906 and was changed to The Burton & District Athletic Club right up until 1963. This was then changed to what it is called today , Burton Athletic Club.
The clubs motto of the time in 1883 was ‘A sound mind in a sound body’. Events attracted over 12,000 spectators and incorporated the newly invented Bicycle. Burton athletes have represented, Staffordshire, the Midlands, Great Britain and Ireland.
The club has achieved considerable successes throughout its long history. Titles won vary from the Midlands junior cross country title to the Ireland triple jump championship title, a former olympic decathlete and variations in between, covering all disciplines.
Today , the club is one of the oldest clubs in the UK and one of founder member clubs of the Midlands Athletic Association of which the club still competes in to this very day.